Here at Rio Vista and Sierra Vista, we pride ourselves on our emphasis on tradition and the enthusiasm of our campers and staff. One of the best manners in which to preserve these vital qualities of our camps is accomplished by recruiting our former campers to work as staff members. We feel that just as much can be gained from the camp experience on the staffing side of things as the camper side. In order to help our former campers maneuver this transition with the greatest amount of ease and success, we offer our 2-week CIT program to those 17-year-olds who are interested in making every camper’s experience an unforgettable one.
The members of the CIT program must meet certain requirements and expectations as outlined by Rio Vista and Sierra Vista. These requirements and expectations are as follows:
- Those who wish to participate in the CIT program must be 17 years of age. Applicants are expected to complete a staff application, provide references, be interviewed by the directors, and complete Child Abuse Prevention training.
- members of the program must be former campers of either Camp Rio Vista or Camp Sierra Vista.
- CITs will only be permitted to work a term in which he/she was not a camper. For example, a person who attended camp as a first term camper would only be permitted to participate in the CIT program during either second or third term.
- CITs will be assigned to and expected to shadow a senior staff member designated by the camp directors.
- Members of the CIT program will live in cabins with previously mentioned senior staff members. CITs will also be assigned to activities according to the needs of the camp.
- CITs will be expected to abide by all rules and requirements of senior staff.
With these rules and expectations, we aim to create a positive experience for CITs as they make the transition from campers to counselor. If you are interested in the CIT program and/or have any further questions, please contact Nathan Henry (nathanh [at] vistacamps [dot] com) or Beth Rumbo (bethr [at] vistacamps [dot] com) for more information.