Just wanted to share some of the best #VistaLove we’ve gotten this month! For our Facebook contest, here are some of the answers we got when asked to share the “Top 10 Reasons why Vista Camps is the best summer camp EVER”…. Check out below!
Top Reasons why Vista Camps is the BEST Summer Camp EVER!!
by past camper, counselor, & Assistant Program Director… Eric Weiss
- Being YOU! At Vista, you can be you. Don’t hide you wild side, Vista is a place where your true personality can shine. It’s so great to see a shy or introverted kid or counselor come to camp and then see how supportive and accepting the Vista community is of them. It’s not soon after we see a new bright smiling face!
- It’s good medicine. If you are ever in a rut or are tired of the monotony of school or work, Vista is the way to recharge and get your head right. Whether you are looking for a new perspective or a relaxed and easy living atmosphere, Vista Camps is the place. I always come out of my time at camp with an optimistic, positive mindset… and a good tan.
- THE PEOPLE. We hear this all the time during the offseason and Justin repeats it often: Camp is not camp without the people that make it special. The list goes on and on, but the people who really put a piece of themselves into camp make it a very special place.
- The tradition. The Great Spirit, the tribes, the campfires, dining hall songs, the list goes on. Many of the best things about Vista date back many moons and still are practiced today. That’s how it was, that’s how it is, and that’s how it will be!
- The competition. I love to relax and take it easy in the river like the next guy, but I need some challenges. Whether it is knockout, warrior ball, capture the fall, I love to get in the middle of tight match. Strategy is the name of the game for most all Vista sports.
- The food. Mrs. Becky makes the food, we eat the food, and we are supremely satisfied. Everyone has their favs, but the fried chicken with potatoes, gravy, a biscuit and some whole jalapenos gives me much joy. We don’t chant Becky’s name in the dining hall just for kicks….
- Take me to the River! The good ol’ Guadalupe River. Summers in Texas are hot; luckily camp has the river to cool off in. You can enter the water in many ways: Butt Buster, the Bullet, the BLOB, LWC slide, canoe/kayak flip, or the tried and true method of jumping in.
- Spontaneous amusement. There are those moments at camp when you see some kids run by with mustaches painted on their face, water balloons in hand, while carry a counselor to throw into the river. No that isn’t a scene from Lord of the Flies, it’s 5th period JFF.
- THE FORT. Tucked in between the tribe hills there is a cabin, reserved for legends and not the faint of heart. The youngest guys at RV turn the old stone structure into a living, breathing man cave. Dance parties, movie nights, and fending off the cavs are just a few of the daily occurrences in the Fort.
- The Easy livin’. Twlight at Vista is I hope what heaven is like. The day has cooled off and you worries could not be further away. Take me home country roads!
From past camper and counselor…. Amy Milstein
10. Counselor Hunt
8. Cabin nights
7. Movie nights at the boys’ waterfront (I may be dating myself)
6. RV/SV Dance
5. Rest period
3. Caballeras overnight
1. Becky’s Sunday morning cinnamon rolls
From a sweet camper… Jordan Smith
1) You can be a weird version of yourself and everyone just loves you more for it. 2) People know when you’re lying and always make you feel better 3) The smell of the camp grounds after rain 4) MRS. BECKY 5) The counselors that aren’t afraid to act as immature as the campers 6)The hills and river 7) The tribes 8) the friends that take my breath away and who I would surely die without 9) SUPERTHON 10) what isn’t to love? I mean, come on, seriously!
Thanks so much to everyone who sent us their top reasons! We SO appreciate and adore our amazing Vista Family!!